A major workplace injury that leaves you with disabling injuries can change the course of your entire life. You may never work again. It can alter your day-to-day routine, your personal relationships, what hobbies you pursue, and much more. In short, that one fateful event on the job can have a lasting impact that you never fully overcome.
To that end, it’s important to know what risks you face. New studies have come out looking at the top reasons for these injuries in 2018, as the stats get compiled, and the results are below:
- No. 10: Repetitive motion
- No. 9: Striking an object
- No. 8: Caught in equipment
- No. 7: Tripping or slipping without falling
- No. 6: Car accidents and vehicle incidents
- No. 5: Exertions and reactions
- No. 4: Getting hit by an object
- No. 3: Falling to a lower level
- No. 2: Falling on the same level
- No. 1: Overexertion
Now, the dangers of falls typically get a lot of press, especially in industries like construction. As such, you may have been surprised that they did not take the No. 1 spot for 2018. Part of the reason for that, however, is simply that the category got split in two. Falls are so common that they had to differentiate between those on the same level and those to a lower level. All combined, these are still one of the biggest dangers you’ll ever face on the job.
If you do get seriously injured at work in any of the ways noted above, make sure you know precisely what legal steps you need to take.