Drunk Drivers And Other Dangerous People
Some traffic accidents only involve an element of negligence. Others involve a level of willful negligence that is simply appalling.
These car crash injuries occur because someone didn’t care enough about your safety to take simple precautions.
Bad Behavior Behind the Wheel
There is no other way to say it: these are cases of bad behavior. Some are so bad that their insurance companies deny responsibility.
Some are so egregious — resulting in fatal injuries — that juries award punitive damages as part of the final recovery.
What To Do After a DUI with an Accident
Take the following steps following any car accident—including a drunk driving accident.
Taking these steps will help preserve the evidence that your DUI accident lawyer might use to build a strong case on your behalf.
- Call for emergency assistance. When involved in a DUI with an accident, emergency personnel and law enforcement will respond to the scene. A police officer generally creates a police report that provides valuable information to support your lawsuit.
- Identify involved parties. If possible, get the contact information of all involved parties. The task of identifying parties includes getting contact information from those directly involved in the accident and from any witnesses.
- Document the scene. Memories fade quickly. Photographs and even your notes written down immediately following the accident assist in helping you recall the events.
- Seek medical attention. See a doctor immediately after an accident. Sometimes injuries present themselves in the hours, days, or weeks following an accident. A complete medical evaluation assists your drunk driving accident lawyer by providing evidence to support the compensation you need.
How Can a Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Help Me?
Understandably, you may feel overwhelmed and angry at how you suffered injuries and trauma due to the inexcusable acts of a drunk driver.
A drunk driving accident lawyer in Waco can help in many ways, including:
- Gathering evidence and investigating your case to establish liability,
- Working with medical professionals to prove your damages,
- Working with complex insurance policies and procedures,
- Negotiating fair settlements,
- Representing your interests in a trial when settlement discussions are unsuccessful.
Pursuing a lawsuit may feel overwhelming and daunting, especially in the midst of the emotions you are feeling after a bad wreck.
However, retaining a qualified drunk driving injury lawyer probably means the difference between obtaining much-needed compensation and recovering without this deserved financial assistance.
What Can a Drunk Driving Injury Lawyer Help Me Recover
After being injured by a drunk driver, you have a right to recover compensation for your losses.
Although the drunk driver will face criminal charges, this does nothing to help pay for your losses resulting from the accident. A DUI accident lawyer assists in recovering the following for injured parties:
Economic damages relate directly to your financial losses resulting from the accident. Economic damages include:
- Property damage,
- Medical and hospital expenses,
- Lost wages, and
- Loss of potential future earnings.
Since these damages are directly related to your injuries, they may be easily established with invoices, bills, pay stubs, and other supporting documents.
Non-economic damages represent a more challenging aspect of your compensatory award. Non-economic damages represent losses that are more subjective and difficult to quantify.
These damages relate to the physical consequences of your accident and vary significantly from person to person. Examples include:
- Pain and suffering,
- Emotional anguish,
- Loss of enjoyment of life, and
- Loss of consortium.
Texas limits non-economic damage awards to specific amounts only in medical malpractice cases. Despite the difficulty in proving these damages, one should never overlook the importance of non-economic damage awards.
These damages often assist a drinking and driving victim the most in getting their life back after a devastating accident.
Working with a qualified drunk driving accident lawyer is vital to obtaining the just compensation you deserve after such a life-changing ordeal.
Other Cases Involving Driver Misbehavior We Handle
- Reckless Driving and Speeding,
- Distracted Driving,
- Driving while Texting,
- Driving with a Suspended or Revoked License,
- Asleep at the Wheel,
- Hit-and-Run, and
- Driving without Insurance (or without adequate insurance).
Contact a Waco Personal Injury Attorney Today
Hit by a drunk driver in Waco, Austin or Central Texas? Call the Waco personal injury attorneys at The Zimmerman Law Firm, at 254-752-9688 or 1-800-INJURIES, or email us your questions. Our drunk driving lawyers will get right back to you!