Browse FAQs hide

Personal Injury FAQs

What damages will I be compensated for after a Texas personal injury accident?

If you have been involved in and suffered an injury in an accident, you become entitled to a form of financial compensation called, “damages.” In Texas, you can become compensated for economic and non-economic damages.

How much can I recover after a personal injury accident in Texas? 

In Texas, compensation recovery hinges on liability, governed by a “modified comparative fault” principle. This means your financial compensation diminishes in proportion to your fault. For instance, if you’re deemed 20% at fault for $50,000 in damages, you could only recover $40,000. However, if your fault surpasses 50%, you might not recover any damages.

What should I bring to my meeting with a Texas personal injury lawyer?

Ensure you bring all pertinent documents related to the accident to your first meeting with a Texas personal injury lawyer, including police reports, insurance details, witness statements, accident scene photos, medical reports, and property damage assessments. Essentially, anything relevant to your case should be brought along. The more information you provide, the better equipped the injury attorney will be to evaluate your claim accurately.

How long do I have to file a personal injury lawsuit?

With a few exceptions, most personal injury lawsuits have a two-year statute of limitations under Texas law. This means that you have two years from the date of the accident to file your claim in a Texas civil court.

What can I expect during the personal injury claim process?

The personal injury claim process typically includes an initial consultation, investigation of your claim, negotiation with insurance companies, and potentially a trial if a settlement cannot be reached.

Do I have a case?

If you’ve been injured and it’s someone else fault you probably do. Questions like whether your auto injury claim is actionable and how much it is worth depends on the specific facts of your case.

Is a lawyer really necessary?

They don’t want you to know that folks who hire an auto injury attorney for their claims and get an average of three times more money than those who don’t. You need to know your rights before trying to deal with an auto insurance company on your own. Remember, insurance companies profit by not paying you fairly for your claim.

What will hiring a lawyer cost me?

At The Zimmerman Law Firm located in Waco, we only get paid if we get you results. We will never ask you to pay us anything out of pocket. In fact, since our fee depends on how much we make insurance companies pay, you can really count on us to fight for you!

Can I settle without taking anyone to court?

Yes, you can. In fact, the vast majority of our cases settle without filing a lawsuit. That’s because at The Zimmerman Law Firm, we know that the key to getting fair value for your claim is for the auto insurance company to know that we have the resources, ability and willingness to take cases the insurance company undervalues to jury trial.

How do I obtain a police report?

You can usually get a copy of the Texas Peace Officer’s Crash Report from the agency that came to the scene within a few days of your wreck. We’re happy to get a copy for you! If you call for an appointment with The Zimmerman Law Firm, we will get a copy for you free.

Does it matter when I see a doctor?

Yes, it’s important to see a doctor as soon as you are injured. You shouldn’t have to wait to see a doctor if you have been hurt by someone else wrongdoing. The at-fault driver’s insurance company will not pay to send you to a doctor. They would prefer for you not to see a doctor and will use any delay in seeking medical attention against you. So go see your doctor immediately after you are hurt! Every visit yields valuable evidence about your injuries.

What do I need to do?

  • Seek medical treatment for the injured.
  • Call the police. They can ensure that you obtain the information you need to help us win your case. Politely ask the responding officer if they will complete a full crash report.
  • Take pictures of the scene, the vehicles, and especially your injuries.
  • Gather contact information from witnesses, the other driver and their insurance company if you can.
  • Save any paperwork or notes you make or receive at the scene, that you receive from medical providers, or that you get later in the mail.

What shouldn’t I do?

  • Avoid posting information or pictures of your accident on social media.
  • Don’t talk to the other driver’s insurance company before you speak to a Zimmerman Law Firm attorney and know your rights!

Estate FAQs

Do I need an estate planning attorney if I have a small estate?

Yes, even if you have a small estate, an estate planning attorney can help ensure that your assets are distributed according to your wishes and that your loved ones are provided for.

When should I start estate planning?

It’s never too early to start estate planning. Ideally, you should begin once you acquire assets or have dependents. Major life events such as marriage, the birth of a child, or purchasing a home are also good times to create or update your estate plan.

Do I need a lawyer to make a will in Texas?

While it’s not required to have a lawyer to make a will in Texas, it can be helpful to ensure that your will is valid and legally sound. A lawyer can also provide guidance on the best way to structure your will to meet your goals.

How do I fund a trust?

Funding a trust involves transferring ownership of your assets into the trust. This can include real estate, bank accounts, investments, and personal property. Properly funding your trust is crucial to ensure that it functions as intended.

How can an attorney help me with probate?

A probate attorney who is familiar with Texas probate law can help ensure that your loved one’s estate is correctly administered in a timely and efficient manner, reducing the risk of errors and delays.

How can an attorney help me with the long-term care planning process?

A long-term care planning attorney can help you determine if you are eligible for benefits such as Medicaid, help you put together a plan to protect your assets and assist you in completing the often complex application process.

Business Formation FAQs

What types of business entities can you help me form?

We can help you form various types of business entities tailored to your needs. These include partnerships, limited liability companies (LLCs), corporations, and nonprofit organizations. 

How do I register my business in Texas, and what documents do I need to file?

To register your business in Texas, you will need to file a Certificate of Formation with the Texas Secretary of State.

What are the ongoing compliance requirements for businesses in Texas?

Texas businesses must comply with various ongoing requirements, such as filing annual reports, maintaining registered agent information, and paying taxes and fees.

How do I choose a business name that is available and complies with Texas laws?

To choose a business name in Texas, you should check the availability of the name with the Secretary of State and make sure it complies with Texas laws regarding business names, such as avoiding prohibited words and being distinguishable from other business names.

What are the liability risks associated with different types of business entities in Texas?

Different types of business entities offer varying levels of liability protection for their owners. For example, corporations and LLCs generally offer limited liability protection, while general partnerships do not.

Can I form a Texas business if I am not a resident of the state?

You do not need to be a Texas resident to form a business in Texas, but you may need to appoint a registered agent who is located in Texas to receive legal notices and documents on behalf of the business.

What resources are available to help me start and grow my Texas business?

Texas offers various resources and support services for entrepreneurs and small business owners, such as the Texas Small Business Development Center, the Texas Economic Development Corporation, and the Texas Workforce Commission.

Call The Zimmerman Law Firm in Waco at 254-752-9688 or 1-800-INJURIES, or email us your questions. Ask to set up a no-charge, no-obligation consultation.