| Read Time: 2 minutes
Featured Image Car Accidents

If you’ve been T-boned in an accident, you may have medical bills, repair bills, lost wages, or other damages that you can recover for. Texas is a fault state, meaning that you will file a claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company for compensation. 

But even in a T-bone car accident, it’s not always clear which driver is at fault. Hiring an experienced auto accident lawyer can help simplify investigating the accident and proving who is at fault. 

Our attorneys at Zimmerman Law Firm have recovered $2.95 million for our clients in auto collision accidents and have 85 years of combined experience fighting to get justice for the wrongfully injured. Let us help you get the compensation you deserve.

T-Bone Accidents and Fault

When you get behind the wheel of a car, you must act with a certain level of care. A driver acts negligently when they act outside the standard of care and cause an accident. Drivers often act negligently when they:

  • Drive while distracted,
  • Fail to yield,
  • Drive with excessive speed, or
  • Drive while under the influence.

T-bone accidents are common at intersections, but they can also happen in parking lots or on highways.

For example, a driver might try to beat a red light but be going at an excessive speed, or a driver might run a stop sign because they are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

To recover your damages, you’ll need to prove that the other driver was at fault.

Texas has a modified comparative negligence law, also known as proportionate responsibility. A judge or jury will calculate the percentage of fault for each party involved in the accident.

As long as you are 50% or less at fault, you can recover damages. However, the judge will reduce the amount of your recovery by your percentage of fault in the accident.

Imagine the other driver failed to yield and drove at an excessive speed, but you were distracted by texting. A judge might find you 40% at fault for the accident and the other driver 60% at fault.

If your damages are $100,000, you can recover only $60,000 because of your proportion of responsibility for the accident.

How Can Zimmerman Law Firm Help After You’re T-Boned in an Accident?

When another driver injures you in an auto collision, one of your first calls should be to an experienced auto accident lawyer.

Texas has a two-year statute of limitations for injuries from a car accident. When you contact us, your lawyer will immediately start collecting evidence to prove who is at fault.

They can negotiate a settlement with the at-fault party’s insurance company or advise you when it is best to file a lawsuit. 

After a T-bone accident, you may feel stressed or frightened. When you hire Zimmerman Law Firm to represent you, our team of experienced, compassionate lawyers will work to maximize your financial recovery while you focus on healing. You don’t pay us until we produce for you.

Author Photo

Michael Zimmerman

Michael was born in Houston, Texas. His education at Baylor and Texas State Universities earned him a Bachelor of Science degree in 1987. His major was in Biology with a Minor in Chemistry. He finished his legal education at Texas Southern University in 1990, earning a Juris Doctorate from Thurgood Marshall School of Law. He was admitted to the State Bar of Texas in 1990.

Rate this Post

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars