| Read Time: < 1 minute
Premises Liability

You’ve gotten hurt at work. You’ve qualified for Texas workers’ compensation. You know that means you will get regular payments based on a percentage of your wages and that your medical bills should be covered. How will you get that money? There are three basic options:

1. Electronic funds transfer

This is also known as EFT. It is essentially a direct deposit system, which you may already use at work for your wages. If you are going to get your benefits for a minimum of eight weeks, you may qualify for the EFT program. You will need to provide the name of your bank or credit union, the routing number, the account number and the type of account it connects to — either a checking account or a savings account. Once you do this, money can be deposited directly into your account.

2. Check

A paper check is the traditional way to get your compensation. You may be able to use your phone to take a picture and deposit the check remotely, or you may have to go into the bank in person, depending on your electronic banking options. Either way, there is one extra step compared to an EFT.

3. Access card program

The access card program may streamline things for you a bit, as the cards are used to pay you the proper benefits. However, keep in mind that you will have to agree to it in writing before anything will get paid out. The insurance company also has to agree in writing.

No matter how you get paid, make sure that you know all of your rights after a workplace injury.

Source: Texas Department of Insurance

Author Photo

Michael Zimmerman

Michael was born in Houston, Texas. His education at Baylor and Texas State Universities earned him a Bachelor of Science degree in 1987. His major was in Biology with a Minor in Chemistry. He finished his legal education at Texas Southern University in 1990, earning a Juris Doctorate from Thurgood Marshall School of Law. He was admitted to the State Bar of Texas in 1990.

Rate this Post

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars