| Read Time: < 1 minute
Car Accidents

Imagine you’re driving home from your child’s soccer match on a Saturday afternoon. Out of nowhere, your sport utility vehicle (SUV) gets hits from behind by a Volkswagen. However, and the other party in the crash didn’t call the police, though. Instead, you exchanged phone numbers.

According to Texas law, you must report your accident to police if damages were more than $1,000. These damages aren’t that difficult to estimate, but you might want to contact a lawyer about your crash if you’re unsure. You’ll have a 10-day period within which to file your Crash Report, Form CR-2 if the police never investigated your crash.

Let’s say, you broke your arm in the collision, and fortunately, there weren’t any other injuries. Your fender was also mangled, and it looks like the bumper and the hood of the other vehicle will need to be replaced. Although your injuries and the property damage were relatively minor in this scenario, you still need to call the police because it’s likely that they exceed $1,000.

Following any crash, it’s important to exchange personal details, vehicle identification numbers and insurance information with anyone involved in the accident. Also, write down the contact information for witnesses. If possible, you should make notes about the weather, condition of the road, take pictures and don’t admit to being responsible for the crash.

Were you involved in a minor accident? Even if you suffered a minor injury in a car crash, you can still pursue financial damages from the at-fault party in your case. A Texas personal injury lawyer can evaluate what happened in your car accident and the extent of your injuries to determine your best course of action.

Author Photo

Michael Zimmerman

Michael was born in Houston, Texas. His education at Baylor and Texas State Universities earned him a Bachelor of Science degree in 1987. His major was in Biology with a Minor in Chemistry. He finished his legal education at Texas Southern University in 1990, earning a Juris Doctorate from Thurgood Marshall School of Law. He was admitted to the State Bar of Texas in 1990.

Rate this Post

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars