Are You A Victim Of Wage Theft?

Under the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), workers must be paid a minimum wage of $7.25 an hour and must receive overtime pay for all hours worked over 40 hours per week. If you are being denied overtime, you may be able to recover overtime compensation for up to three years of lost overtime pay.

When an employer fails to pay employees minimum wage or required overtime, it’s called wage theft. Employers can only be held liable for up to three years of unpaid wages but may also be required to pay double the amount of owed wages and attorney fees. If you think you may have been a victim of wage theft, it’s important that you contact an attorney right away to help you recover the wages you’re owed.

The most common industries with wage theft are:

  • Fast Food restaurants
  • Call centers
  • Hourly nurses, certified nursing assistants
  • Home health aides
  • Hospital workers
  • Restaurants, food services
  • Computer tech & IT
  • Financial Services
  • Couriers & delivery drivers
  • Independent contractors
  • Construction companies
  • Trucking companies

Unpaid Wages FAQs

Has Your Employer Denied Overtime Pay?

Over 75 percent of workers are deprived of their rightful overtime pay. Federal law dictates that many employees must receive overtime pay for any time worked over a 40-hour work week.

Do You Work Off the Clock For No Pay? 

7 out of 10 workers work extra hours and don’t get paid for it! If you are working outside of your regular shift hours, this could be you. An employer has to pay for extra time, even if it is before or after your scheduled shift.

Were you Wrongfully Paid as an Independent Contractor or Seasonal Worker? 

The Department of Labor says that improper classification is one of the gravest issues facing workers in Texas today. Misclassification can prevent workers from getting the wages, overtime, insurance, or leave time that they deserve! Whether a worker is an employee or an independent contractor is a determination with many variables. Even if you employer calls you an independent contractor, they may be wrong! Make sure that you are getting the benefits that you fairly earned.

What’s Your Unpaid Wage Claim Worth in Texas?

Has your employer failed to pay you minimum wage or overtime or failed to give you meal breaks? If so, you may be able to recover unpaid wages from your employer, as well as a monetary penalty.

Filing a Claim for Unpaid Wages in Texas

The quickest and easiest way to recover unpaid wages is typically to file a wage claim with the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC). The TWC handles various wage violations, including minimum wage violations, overtime violations, unauthorized deductions, unpaid bonuses, and unpaid commissions. The TWC will investigate your claim, make a decision, and help you recover any wages that are owed.