Unpaid Wages

Are You A Victim Of Wage Theft?

Under the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), workers must be paid a minimum wage of $7.25 an hour and must receive overtime pay for all hours worked over 40 hours per week. If you are being denied overtime, you may be able to recover overtime compensation for up to three years of lost overtime pay.

When an employer fails to pay employees minimum wage or required overtime, it's called wage theft. Employers can only be held liable for up to three years of unpaid wages but may also be required to pay double the amount of owed wages and attorney fees. If you think you may have been a victim of wage theft, it's important that you contact an attorney right away to help you recover the wages you're owed.

The most common industries with wage theft are:

  • Fast Food restaurants
  • Call centers
  • Hourly nurses, certified nursing assistants
  • Home health aides
  • Hospital workers
  • Restaurants, food services
  • Computer tech & IT
  • Financial Services
  • Couriers & delivery drivers
  • Independent contractors
  • Construction companies
  • Trucking companies

Unpaid Wages FAQs

Has Your Employer Denied Overtime Pay?

76 percent of workers are not paid their legally required overtime rate. Federal law says that most employees must receive overtime for all hours worked over a standard 40-hour work week.

Are You Forced To Work Off The Clock And Not Getting Paid For It?

More than 70 percent of workers come in early or stay at their job late, and don't receive a dime for the work they completed outside of their regular shift. The law says employees are to be paid for the time they put in, even if it is before or after work.

Were You Improperly Classified As An Independent, Seasonal, or Temporary Contractor ?

The Department of Labor says misclassification is "one of the most serious problems facing" workers today, and prevents workers from receiving fair wages, overtime compensation, unemployment insurance, and family and medical leave. The law says that "economic realities of the working relations between employer and worker" determine if that worker is an independent contractor or employee, not a job title or contract.

What's Your Unpaid Wage Claim Worth in Texas?

Has your employer failed to pay you minimum wage or overtime or failed to give you meal breaks? If so, you may be able to recover unpaid wages from your employer, as well as a monetary penalty.

Filing a Claim for Unpaid Wages in Texas

The quickest and easiest way to recover unpaid wages is typically to file a wage claim with the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC). The TWC handles various wage violations, including minimum wage violations, overtime violations, unauthorized deductions, unpaid bonuses, and unpaid commissions. The TWC will investigate your claim, make a decision, and help you recover any wages that are owed.